Thursday, March 20, 2014

HAPPY SPRING! First batch of seeds on the way!

Oh yippy skippy! ( I cannot wait to learn more about blogging and adding some pictures ect to the blog, but for right now, it is what it is :) )

Anyway, so sorry, I ordered this first batch of seeds thru  ,http://www.victoryseeds.com.  This year I am trying to use mostly heirloom seeds.  I have gotten on the GMO band wagon, and by using heritage or heirloom seeds, no hybrids, I want to see if I can get back to the old types of plants.  If they get crushed by disease, or overcome with some fungus, then I will go back to some hybrids.  I really think though that they will all do very well.  I am planting a combination of raised bed row, and SFG too, and the SFG system says to mix up your plants.  Do not have all of one species in one spot.  That makes them easy targets for the bugs that like them.  If you plant everything in the same amounts, but spreading them out among your garden, you will help to "trick" the bugs, they wont know where to go.  Another benefit of doing it this way is that some of the bugs that eat a certain plant, may also like to eat predator bugs!  The other benefit of this method is planting deep rooted plants among shallow rooted plants, the deep rooted ones draw water deeper, and the shallow rooted ones can be planted so as to act as a living mulch.  Win win!

Would you like to know what I ordered for this weekend (hopefully!) to plant?
I will give you one- Shin Kuroda Carrots

Go and check out Victory Seeds, they have a great website, and there are reviews along with pictures by actual people who have grown them.  I get lost in seed catalogs and web sites, how about you?
Tomorrow maybe the rest of my early planting list, and trying to figure out how to upload my garden plan!

Today is a great day, one all of us gardeners have been looking forward to, the first day of Spring!!!!!
Happy spring everyone!!!

6 comments:

  1. Any type of seeds you plant, you need to take care them from insects and fungus by spraying medicines in them. If so you will surely get the plants what you are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lwt - do you want me to add this blog to my blogroll? just answer back here and i will add it pronto.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I think I am going to keep my garden updates on my other blog. It is adventures of my life and part of that is my passion for gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds good! i'll add you right away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seeds catalogues suck me in like a wormhole! good on you for going the heirloom route, its the smartest move long term for sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. seeds catalogues suck me in like a wormhole! good on you for going the heirloom route, its the smartest move long term for sure

    ReplyDelete