Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What are your thoughts on GMO's?

One of the reasons that I got back into gardening as more than a hobby is what I am reading about GMO's.  Now if you garden at all, I have to assume you have heard of these.  They are Genetically Modified  Organisims.  And that basically boils down to, a chemical engineer messed with natures way, tweaked a gene or two and made corn that can be sprayed with Roundup pesticides and not be killed. Or they have been modified to now resist a virus or fungus that used to plague the plants.

But is this a good thing?  For the huge farming operations of course.  For the people eating it, they tell us it is fine, but if that is the case, why do all the European countries ban them?  Has our society become so obsessed with money that we disregard our health and safety?  Even if the GMO itself is not harmful, (which I doubt) then what about the gallons of pesticides dumped on them, or the chemical fertilizers that they use to encourage rapid growth?

All of these things add up to me deciding to start my gardening in earnest again.  The funny thing is, I had forgotten how much I love to garden, how it makes me settle down , lets me dig in the sweet earth, and contemplate the goodness of the earth all around me,.

1 comment:

  1. I have read that GMO food is not as nutritious, so we have to eat more.

    ReplyDelete