Monday, March 3, 2014

I hear the robins singing!

Yes fellow gardeners, I heard the robin singing this weekend.  And to me that means spring is waiting to spring!!
How many of you have your seed lists ready to order?  How many have their plans all set?  How about starting seeds?  I am debating starting seeds indoors this year.  Frankly I have never done it, I usually sow directly in the ground or purchase the plants that I need from a nursery.
But I realized there are so very many varieties that I am missing out on, so this year I am jumping into the seed starting fray.  The ones I intend on starting are my tomatoes, peppers and Brussels  sprouts.  I will direct sow beans, potatoes (sweet and regular) peas (my favorite early veg), cucumbers, onions, beets, carrots (another favorite!) winter squash, butternut squash (new for me this year), pumpkin, (new for us this year).  I am building more beds as soon as the ground thaws (please be soon!).
Can I ask, are any of you starting to garden with an eye towards food prices skyrocketing?  I watch the drought in CA and I know that the prices will continue to skyrocket, and our pay will not.  I also see some sort of economic collapse in our future.  So many people have forgotten HOW to garden that is something drastic happens they will not have a clue how to provide food for their family.  So many of the "non gardeners" think "well I will dig a hole, plant a seed and get a tomato", or I will plant five of this plant and that will be so much food that I can eat for a year, only to find out that a bushel of tomatoes may only make 12 quarts the sauce you like.  Right now, when we are not in want, is the time to learn all you can about how to garden, what grows well in your area, and how much you really do need to feed your family.

Some of you may just be hobby gardeners, and I love that!  I started that way.  It did not take long for me to realize that #1 I could save money all summer, #2 I would eat as fresh as possible, # 3 there is NOTHING on my food that I do not know about.  The third one is ever more important these days.

I also am getting more worried about the GMO's that the farmers are planting.  In this way, I can do my part to grow non GMO foods, and hopefully preserve the seeds for posterity.

So where are you in your garden plans????

No comments:

Post a Comment